Everything We Know So Far About The Deadly Attacks In New Zealand

All times and dates featured in this article are in local New Zealand time.

At least 49 people are dead and 20 more are seriously injured following a pair of mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Two Locations

Both attacks began at lunchtime on Friday while the mosques in Christchurch’s city center were crowded with worshipers.

Police reported that 41 people were killed at the al Noor mosque as another seven were killed at the Linwood mosque. Another victim died in hospital.

Police responded to the attacks after receiving the first reports at 1:40 p.m.

Witnesses described gunmen opening fire for “10 to 15 minutes,” as one told reporters he prayed the shooter would “run out of bullets.”

Police discovered a pair of explosive devices attached to a vehicle following the attacks and worked to disable them. A number of weapons were also recovered at both shooting locations.

Another “location of interest,” over 200 miles away from Christchurch in Dunedin, was evacuated on Friday night.

Authorities were treating the incident as ongoing Friday evening, and warned Christchurch residents to stay indoors.

Attacker Live Streamed Shooting

One of the attackers appeared to post a lengthy manifesto to social media just before the attack, and police say that one of the shootings was live streamed on the internet.

“We would strongly urge that the (video) link not be shared,” New Zealand police said. “We are working to have any footage removed.”

Representatives for Facebook, Google, YouTube, and Twitter have publicly announced they will work to keep video of the attacks off their platforms.

Australian Suspect Charged With Murder

Four people were arrested Friday, but police say one was “not related to these events.”

An Australian man in his late twenties has been charged with murder. He is set to appear in court Saturday morning. Two other men and one woman were arrested in relation to the attacks, but one of those detained was later released.

Police say it’s still unclear what role the other two suspects in custody played in the attack.

New Zealand Police have declined to discuss “the offenders’ possible motivations,” but Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the shooting was committed by an “violent, right-wing, extremist terrorist.”

Reactions From World Leaders

In a press conference on Friday, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the attack one of the country’s “darkest days,” and said the perpetrator’s “extremist views” have no place in New Zealand.

[embedded content]

She also said the shootings “can now only be described as a terrorist attack.”

President Trump offered his condolences on Twitter, extending his “warmest sympathy and best wishes” to New Zealand.

“Forty-nine innocent people have so senselessly died, with so many more seriously injured,” he wrote. “The U.S. stands by New Zealand for anything we can do. God bless all!”

British Prime Minister Theresa May also expressed her “deepest condolences” to New Zealand, calling the day’s events a “horrifying terrorist attack” and a “sickening act of violence.”

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II wrote that she was “deeply saddened by the appalling events in Christchurch today,” before paying tribute to emergency services and volunteers supporting victims of the attack.

Pope Francis offered his “heartfelt solidarity” according to the Vatican’s Secretary of State Pietro Parolin, and said he was “deeply saddened to learn of the injury and loss of life caused by the senseless act of violence.”

[H/T: CNN, BBC]

Our thoughts are with the people of New Zealand and the victims of these terrible attacks.

Josh Groban Left “Shaking” After Being “Half A Block” From The NYC Terror Attack

At 3:00 p.m on Tuesday afternoon, New York City was once again the location of a deadly terror attack.

Reports indicated that a lone gunman rammed his truck into people on a popular bike path, then opened fire on West Street and Chambers Street in Manhattan, killing eight and injuring multiple others.

Alec Taback/NYDN

Police shot 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov, while Mayor Bill de Blasio brought slight relief when he announced that there was no active threat in the city.

It wasn’t long before witness accounts of the incident soon began to flood in.

“What happened was there was a car crash… he came out of one of the cars. He had two guns. He was running around Chambers and somebody started to chase him,” a 14-year-old student at the nearby Stuyvesant High School told the New York Post. “I heard four to six gunshots – everybody starts running.”

Foxnews.com

58-year-old Nelson Arroyo, who was around when the attack took place, also described the terrifying situation to the New York Post saying, “The Home Depot truck starting running people over. I heard a boom boom, a crushing noise from the bikes. People were sitting down crying. I saw two areas of blood.”

Singer and actor Josh Groban was also just “half a block away” from the scene.

joshgroban.com

The New York City-based performer took to Twitter to share a firsthand account of the harrowing event that left him “shaking.”

Shooter And Truck Attack Reported In Downtown Manhattan

Police have arrested a gunman who allegedly opened fire on pedestrians in New York City Tuesday afternoon.

The attack happened on West Street and Chambers Street in Manhattan at around 3 p.m. At least six people were wounded and at least two more were fatally shot. Before the shooting, the gunman either crashed or intentionally rammed his car into nearby pedestrians.

“What happened was there was a car crash… he came out of one of the cars. He had two guns. He was running around Chambers and somebody started to chase him,” a 14-year-old student at the nearby Stuyvesant High School told the New York Post. “I heard four to six gunshots – everybody starts running.”

Victims were rushed to a nearby hospital.

Photos of the scene show a damaged white pickup truck with Home Depot decals. Witnesses say the truck was steered onto a bike path shortly before the shooting began.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has been briefed on the situation and says there is no active threat in the city.